top of page

Nick- Kaye Narrandera Rod Run Easter ‘21

Despite some limitations due to Covid, the annual Rod Run at Narrandera was held this year and with most other events either postponed or cancelled Kaye and I decided it would be a good destination for us and our first time back there since 1977.

With a few more locals including Bill and Kerin and Shelley and her partner Simon we headed off from Eastlink BP on a beautiful Thursday morning and after a pleasant day arrived at Lake Talbot Tourist Park late afternoon. Bill’s skills were required in Finley when Kaye’s 57 didn’t want to start after refuelling. It turned out to be one of the coil wires was shorting. A quick stop saw us back on the road. We were met there by our son, daughter-in-law and grand daughter who live in Sydney and who brought their speed boat for some fun during the week after the run. The boat is a wood and fibreglass clinker with a 186 inboard built around the 60’s.

The park was full with most sites being occupied by car enthusiasts. There was also a good representation of older caravans. Friday was occupied by registration and a fun afternoon at the local water park. Saturday consisted of a cruise and observation run to nearby Leeton. There was also a car show being staged in Leeton. Saturday night was busy with cruising in the Main Street until well after dark. The weather was superb with each day in the mid 30’s.

The Show and Shine on Sunday was open to the public with limited numbers. Although entry was free, tickets needed to be obtained online and the quota of 5000 tickets was snapped up before Sunday.

One of the organisers had suggested that I tow our son’s speed boat to it. It attracted a lot of attention in the show. Awards were presented in the afternoon with Shelley Duyvestyn winning the Observation Run. Only two answers out of 32 were incorrect.

There were 320 entries so along with the organising club cars there were 350 spread around the sports ground.

Monday was a quieter day with many leaving to travel home, or getting ready to leave on Tuesday.

We were booked in to stay until Saturday so looked forward to relaxing for a few days. We spent time in the boat each day and I managed to get up on a single ski for the first time since 1985. It was great fun also watching our 9 year old granddaughter enjoying being towed on a biscuit.

The weather held out until Friday which was a bit cooler and we left the boat on the trailer while we started to prepare for a trip home on Saturday. We had a nice trip until around Seymour where the rain started but all in all we really enjoyed our time there and are already planning for a repeat next year.



bottom of page